Apricot Chicken with Buckwheat
Apricot Chicken with Buckwheat is a one-pot meal, healthy and gluten-free.
- 200 g or 1 1/4 cup buckwheat or kasha
- 350 g skinless chicken thigs
- 170 g 2 medium onions medium diced
- 50 g apricot cut lengthwise
- 1 tbso tomato pasata or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup or 50g almonds roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp or to taste cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tbsp picked thyme
- red chilli to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- coriander for garnishing
- salt to taste
- 2 3/4 cups chicken or veg stock or plain water
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Marinate the chicken thighs with some salt, black pepper and lemon zest for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Heat the pan (whichever you are using) with 2 tsp oil and brown the chicken from both sides for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Take it out and place it in a plate.
In the same pot add rest of the oil and butter together. Add in the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sweat it for just 1 minute. Add in all the spices, herbs and apricots, mix it well.
Add in the tomato pasata or diced and add in the buckwheat and fry it for 5 minutes. Place the chicken on the buckwheat, pour in the stock or water. Adjust the seasoning, add in the almonds and place the pan in the preheated oven. Bake it for 35-40 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with some herb pesto or just as is.