Sesame Grilled Chicken doesn’t it sound out of the box delicious?
I love coming up with out of the box recipes because I love experimenting with new flavours, ingredients from different cuisines. Since I have left India I have incorporated a lot of Asian especially Japanese and South Asian flavours in my cooking and they are always been hit! If you follow me on Social Media, you will know I often come up with recipes with the ingredients I have on hand and this is how this Sesame Grilled Chicken came about.
Sesame Grilled Chicken with Brown Rice, a wicked combination that works! 😉
I have served this uber delicious Sesame Grilled Chicken with plain rice which obviously a massive hit as the sesame, spring onions pairs really well with plain rice. However, the other day I served this chicken with protein-packed brown rice with beans and it paired really well with it too.
What are the other combinations you can do with this Sesame Grilled Chicken?
You can pair this Sesame Grilled Chicken with naan, Kerala Parotta or a simple paratha. Just serve it with finely sliced onions, lime wedge and you have a great lunch or supper. For the original recipe, I added the grilled chicken to the gravy and cooked it for a few minutes. You can go for this option or serve the curry on the side with grilled chicken.
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to check out some of my favourite recipes.
Let’s get to the recipe!
Sesame grilled chicken
For the chicken marination:
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves with stalks
- 1 tbsp fresh spring onion (scalion)
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tsp green peppercorns use white and pink or red if you can't find the green.
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the paste:
- 1 cup spring onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed coriander leaves, roots and stalks
- 1 leaf sawtooth coriander
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp green peppercorns use pink/red and white if you can't find the green.
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp raw rice grains
- 1/2 cup water
For the curry:
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Using pestle mortar or a blender, make a coarse paste of all the ingredients. Marinate the chicken for 2 hours. Grill the chicken in the preheated oven 180C/350F for 18-20 minutes when you start making your gravy. Keep it aside.
- Make a smooth paste of all the ingredients listed under the paste using water and keep it aside.
- Make a rough paste of onion, garlic and red chillies.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a wok and add the onion paste. Fry till its cooked and the rawness is gone. This should take about 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- Add in the green paste and cook it for 10-15 minutes till it reduced and completely cooked and you see oil coming out from sides.
- Season it with salt and toasted sesame oil.
- By this time your chicken should be grilled, if you want you can add the grilled chicken in the gravy and cook it for 3-5 minutes.
- I live to serve the chicken and gravy on the side with rice or flatbreads.