This Healthy Pasta Sauce is a new revelation for me!
We love our pasta, be it a simple Peperoncino or Arrabiata or with some pesto, we love them all. I make different types of pasta sauces, mostly tomato-based but I am the biggest fan of Peperoncino and my Kale Pesto Pasta. Recently I did an event for my friend, and we had a ton of vegetables left, I don’t particularly appreciate wasting food, so I offered I would make something out of them.
In that vegetable bunch, I had carrots, red peppers/capsicum, celery and a few tomatoes. I didn’t want to make a soup, and I had never made a Pasta Sauce with these vegetables, especially carrots. So after racking my brains, I decided to make this Healthy Pasta Sauce!
This Healthy Pasta came together in about 35 minutes in the Thermomix, and what makes it healthy? I am glad you asked, all the vegetables are cooked on 120C/ 250F which keeps all the nutrients intact.
The key to a good pasta sauce is the balance of herbs, spices and right tartness. The carrots and red peppers in this Healthy Pasta worked really well; it balances the acidity of those canned tomatoes.
To make this Healthy Pasta Sauce more flavourful, I added a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme and to give more depth of flavour; I added 1 red chilli. Trust me, that chilli packs a punch!
This Healthy Pasta Sauce goes well with spaghetti, meatballs and even as a pizza base. So give this recipe a try!
Non-Thermomix recipe is coming soon!
So this is h0w you make this recipe!
Healthy Pasta Sauce
- 1 can diced tomato about 400g
- 2 nos shallots cut in halves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 nos red chilli optional
- 120 g celery roughly diced
- 200 g carrots roughly diced
- 250 g red capiscum or red pepper roughly diced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock paste or 1 vegetable stock cube
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 sprig of rosemary and thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place shallots, garlic and chilli in the Thermomix bowl, chop on speed 5 seconds on speed 7.
- Now add the celery and chop on speed 5-7 for 10 seconds. Add in the olive oil and cook on speed 1.5 on 110C/230F for 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, capsicum (red peppers) and chop on speed 7 for 10 seconds. Add in the water, vegetable stock paste or cube and can of diced tomatoes.
- Add in the salt, chilli flakes, crushed black peppercorns and herbs. Cook on 110C/230F on speed 2 for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, mix well and cook for 5 minutes on 120C/250F on speed 2.
- Now blend the sauce on speed 4-8 for 45 seconds.
- Pour it a bowl and let it cool. Store it in a sterilised glass bottle keep it in a refrigerator for 1 week or in freezer up to 3 weeks.
- Use it for pasta, pizza or meatballs.