“Vegan Methi Matar”, a delightful Indian recipe with a delicate twist!
I love all green leafy vegetables, and especially fenugreek (methi) is my favourite of the lot. There are so many ways I cook methi, but this particular recipe is saved for those special occasions! My mum would make utterly delicious Methi Matar Malai on dinner parties, and it was always a star of the show. The Vegan Methi Matar is inspired by my own old recipe since we have started cutting down dairy products, I wanted to create an equally good recipe. And believe me, this “Vegan Methi Matar” has become our favourites.
What is Vegan Methi Matar?
Methi means fenugreek and matar mean green peas. There is something really incredible about these two ingredients, you pair them with heavy cream or coconut cream; it is still a treat. I made this Vegan Methi Matar with cashews and coconut cream, and the result was a luscious, creamy gravy. Try it to believe it!
What can we pair this “Vegan Methi Matar” with?
I like to pair this humble dish with steamed rice or flaky parathas or my new favourite, leftover lentil parathas!
If you can’t find fresh fenugreek leaves you can use spinach and make this recipe.
Learn how to make this simple “Vegan Methi Matar”!
Vegan Methi Matar
Ingredients for the curry:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- A few peppercorns and cardamom
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh fenugreek leaves finely chopped
- 2 cups boiled or frozen thawed green peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 cup coconut cream or milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Ingredients for the paste:
- 1 nos onion roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts
- 1 tsp poppy seeds optional
- 1/2 tbsp almonds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 nos cloves
- 1 nos stone flower
- 3 nos green cardamom
- 3 or to taste green chiillies roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Instrctions for the paste:
- Heat oil and add all the ingredients mentioned for the paste, sauté till the onion is golden brown and cooked for about 7-8 minutes.
- When it is slightly cool, make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
Instrctions for the curry:
- Heat oil, and cinnamon stick, bay leaf, stone flower, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds let them splutter.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, add in the paste. Sauté the paste for 10 minutes.
- Add some water if the gravy is too thick or starts to stick to the bottom.
- Add in the fenugreek leaves, sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the green peas and all the spice powders. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and water, simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and water if needed.Serve hot with parathas or rice!