Methi Matar Malai literally means Fenugreek cooked in cream with peas, and it is one of the most delicate dishes from Indian Cuisine!
Growing up my mum cooked this only on special occasions because it’s deliciously heavy, loaded with cream and cashew nuts and almonds, so having this dish with mum’s paratha and jeera rice was a real treat. This is my take on my mum’s recipe.
Make this recipe for special dinners and enjoy!
Ingredients for a paste:
- 1 red onion roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tbsp almonds
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 3 green cardamom
- 3 or to taste green chillies roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
Ingredients for curry:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick and bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped fenugreek
- 2 cups boiled or thawed frozen green peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup water (approximately)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
Heat oil and add all the ingredients mentioned for the paste, sauté till the onion is golden brown and cooked for about 5-7 minutes.
When it’s cooled make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
For the gravy:
Heat butter and cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cumin seeds, let them splutter.
Add in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, add in the paste. Sauté the paste for 5 minutes.
Add in the fenugreek leaves, sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the green peas and all the spice powders. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the cream and milk, simmer on a low flame for 5 minutes.
Add salt and water if needed.
Serve hot with parathas!