Whole wheat crackers served with good cheese and dip, a perfect combination for canapes or a cheeseboard.
I love making these Whole wheat crackers because they are so easy, quick and they don’t need that many ingredients. For these whole wheat crackers, I have used spelt flour and wholemeal flour which makes them healthier and low on gluten.
Can’t find wholemeal and spelt flour for these whole wheat crackers?
Because of the COVID-19 a lot of ingredients are not available but that shouldn’t stop you from making these crackers. You can make them with simple whole wheat flour or plain flour or even atta (Indian whole wheat flour). The texture will be as flakey as these crackers!
Flavourings, spices, herbs for these whole wheat crackers.
I love adding seeds, spices and herbs in my crackers. The seeds add another dimension to these crackers and herbs, spices just lifts the flavour. I mean let’s face it there is nothing horrible than a plain, boring cracker right! I like to add nigella seeds, sesame seeds and cumin seeds to give a slight texture to these. For herbs, my favourites are rosemary and thyme, these herby flavour goes brilliant with any cheese. For spices, I like to add cardamom powder because it has a natural sweetness to it, you can add spices you fancy.
How to serve these whole wheat crackers?
If I am in a fancy mood, I love making canapes with these crackers, a little bit cream cheese, some tomato, basil and good drizzle of olive oil. But you can snack on these or serve them with tea. Be creative! 🙂 I love serving these crackers with these two pestos, it makes a great snack.
So let’s get to the recipe! 🙂
Whole wheat Crackers
- 130 g spelt flour
- 130 g wholemeal flour
- 110 g cold unsalted butter chopped
- 1/2 cup icy cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each cardamom and black pepper powder
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs thyme and rosemary
- Mix both the flours together and add salt, spice powders, seeds and herbs.
- Add the flour and butter in a food processor and blitz it till it resembles a bread crumb mixture.
- Add in 1/2 cup water first and bring the dough together. Do not add too much water at first. The dough should be flakey. Bring it together to form a ball and knead it for a few seconds.
- Wrap the dough in a cling film and keep it in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 200C/400F. Using whole wheat flour roll the dough in 2 mm thickness.
- Use a fork to prick it and cut in the desired shape. Bake it in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes till the crackers are golden brown.
- Let the crackers cool completely on the wire rack. Store them in an air-tight container. Consume within 10 days.
So no need to add baking power to crackers?
No need. These are like shortbread types. 🙂
What is spelt floor?
Spelt is low in gluten, an ancient grain from the wheat family.