“Two Pepper Chicken” sounds something new and interesting, right! Well, it is unique, and it is indeed quite interesting.
A few days ago, I was developing a bunch of new recipes for my cooking project and lunch; I was doing at my home for my friends. I wanted to make something new, healthy yet flavourful and something with chicken. One of my all-time favourite Chicken recipes is Pepper Chicken, but I was bored and wanted to make something new and packed with new exciting flavours.
A few months ago, Scoop Wholefoods opened in Singapore, and I couldn’t be happier. First, it is a plastic-free supermarket and second the number of spices, ingredients they have is just mind-blowing! One of my finds was this uber delicious, flavour-packed yet subtle, Indian Green Peppercorn. After a long time, I found Green Peppercorns, and I was excited to try this in an Indian recipe, and that’s how I created this Two Pepper Chicken!
This Two Pepper Chicken goes well with steamed rice, rotis and you can also serve this as an appetiser if you make this preparation dry.
This is how you make this recipe.
2 Pepper Chicken
- Heavy Pan or wok
- Pestle and mortar
- 600 g chicken leg and thigh boneless
- 1 big onion sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic roughly crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger paste
- 1 tbsp each black and green peppercorns
- 1 tbsp roasted coriander seeds
- 100 ml cream
- 1 tbsp coriander stalks
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard or vegetable oil
- 2 green chillies (optional) slit in half
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- salt to taste
- 1 each bay leaf, mace, cinnamon stick
- few peppercorns and green cardamom
- coriander for garnishing
- Marinate the chicken in 1/2 tsp each turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and 2 tbsp yoghurt for at least 30 minutes.
- In a heavy wok or a pan, heat oil add in all the whole spices and let them splutter. Add in the onion, garlic, coriander stalks and greens and chillis.
- Saute till the onion is golden brown, now add in the ginger paste, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the marinated chicken, mix it well. Fry, the chicken for 5 minutes. In the meantime make a coarse powder of black, green peppercorns and coriander seeds using pestle mortar or spice grinder.
- Add this powder to the chicken and cook till the chicken is almost cooked, and the liquid has evaporated.
- Now add in the cream, cook for 2 minutes. I made this chicken semi-dry, so I cooked for 5-7 minutes but if you like gravy don’t cook the cream too much.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.