Cloudy Corn Soup, it’s my new favourite soup!
I love including soups in my diet and there are many different types of soups I make and this new Cloudy Corn Soup has become my new favourite. It’s very light, vegan, gluten-free and creamy-cloudy with sweetest white corn. I love serving this soup with simple fried rice, spicy chicken and cucumber salad, it is a perfect spread for a cold day. It’s a shame we don’t have that here in Singapore but we still love our soups.
This Cloudy Corn Soup is a versatile and customisable recipe!
I have kept this recipe completely vegan but you can make this cloudy corn soup with chicken stock.
- You can add shredded chicken for some protein and body to this cloudy corn soup.
- You can also add eggs, that will give that laciness to the soup.
- You can also add some crispy tortillas in this soup, trust me it tastes fantastic!
This Cloudy Corn Soup is made with minimum ingredients but it packs a punch! 🥊
I wanted to keep the recipe very simple but something which will pack a punch! I have added white pepper to give that pungent flavour to this soup, it gives a nice peppery kick and toasted sesame oil to give a nutty taste. If you can’t find white peppercorn, add black peppercorns, that tastes great too. I have added vegetables such as red capsicum (bell pepper) and spring onions apart from sweet corn.
If you like soups as much as I do then do check some of these recipes out.
So let’s get to the recipe!
Cloudy Corn Soup
- 2 nos corn cobs kernels (2 cups) I used white sweet corn
- 1 nos small onion small diced
- 1/2 cup white part of spring onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup the green part of spring onion finely chopped
- 1 nos red capsicum (bell pepper) small diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 nos or to taste green chilli finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil optional
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp tapioca or corn starch mixed in 2 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 tsp or to taste salt
- 1000 ml vegetarian stock or water
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepot. Add in the oil, when it's hot, tip in the garlic and saute for a few a seconds.
- Add in both the onions (not the green part) and fry for 3-4 minutes till the onion is translucent, make sure the onion doesn't get too brown.
- Add in the chilli, corn kernels, white pepper powder and saute for 1 minute. Tip in 750 ml of vegetable stock and bring it to a simmer by covering the pot for 7 minutes.
- FIsh out 3/4 cups of cooked corn kernels with some soup water and make a coarse puree. Tip the puree back in the soup.
- Add in the rest of the stock, capsicum and cook for another 5 minutes. Now add in half of the spring onion, vinegar and cornstarch slurry. Keep stirring the soup so the starch is mixed well.
- Flavour the soup with toasted sesame oil. Adjust the salt and pepper and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with rest of the spring onions and serve hot!