I have got a winner prawns/shrimp recipe for you all, it’s Miso Garlic Prawns!
These Miso Garlic Prawns are umamilicious, not even a proper word but I am going with it 😉 and totally addictive! The miso, the garlic, the ginger ahh I can’t sell this fantastic dish enough to you people. I am allergic to prawns but every time I develop a new recipe, I do try it and this was one of those dishes I really wanted to eat a lot.
These fiery Miso Garlic Prawns are perfect as an appetiser as a starter if you are going for a spicy Asian Menu!
I served these Miso Garlic Prawns with steamed fish in lemongrass broth, Crispy Sesame Chicken (recipe coming soon) and it was a fantastic combination! You can also serve these prawns with plain steamed rice, they pair well with that too.
What type of prawns one should use for this Miso Garlic Prawns?
I would recommend using wild prawns or tiger prawns for this recipe. Please do not use frozen prawns or shrimps for this recipe, it will not do any justice to the taste. You fresh prawns and trust me, keep the head and tail on, all the prawn-sea flavour, it is all in there! It is pure gold, that well if you are a prawn lover! I used Ang Ka Prawns from Tada Freshmarket, I would recommend using these!
You can also watch the Miso Garlic Prawns recipe video on my Instagram highlights.
If you like this recipe, do check out these recipes!
Miso Garlic Prawns
- 15 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 inch ginger finely diced
- 10 red chillies soaked in hot water
- 3 red chillies for later
- 1 1/2 tbsp shiro miso paste
- 2 tbsp cooking rice wine
- 1 tsp spring onion for garnishing
- 3 tbsp oil I used groundnut oil
- 350 g wild prawns keep the head and tail on
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each ginger and garlic paste
- Marinate the prawns in the mentioned ingredients for 10-15 minutes.
- Soak the red chillies for 20 minutes, then drain them. Finely chop them.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil, once hot, tip in the whole red chillies and all the garlic. Fry till the garlic is golden brown and crispy. Fish it out with the slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same wok, add in 1 more tbsp oil and tip in the marinated prawns and fry them for 30 seconds from both sides. Take them out and keep it aside.
- Clean the wok, add in the rest of the oil and in the ginger, and chopped chilli. Fry for 20 seconds and tip in the miso paste. Fry for a few seconds and add in the cooking rice wine to loosen it.
- Add in the fried prawns and for 30 seconds. Now add in the fried garlic and chilli, fry for another 30 seconds.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.