Prawn Coconut Masala, a delightful, packed with robust yet delicate flavours dish!
I love prawns, they are versatile, delicious and so easy to cook but it’s a shame I can’t consume them because of my food allergies but that doesn’t stop me from cooking them. This Prawn Coconut Masala is one of my favourite dishes to cook.
This Prawn Coconut Masala is an easy and fantastic recipe and a family favourite!
I love serving the Prawn Coconut Masala with dosas, parathas and plain steamed rice. Trust me it tastes wonderful with all these combinations and it is always a hit in my home. You don’t need that many ingredients for this recipe, a few special ingredients like turmeric leaf which completely optional.
Herbs and spices for this Prawn Coconut Masala:
You need fresh or dry bay leaf, curry leaves, turmeric leaf, black pepper powder and Kashmiri red chilli powder. That’s it for herbs and spices; I did say you don’t need many ingredients. 🙂 I wanted to keep this Prawn Coconut Masala very simple, so the ingredients you need to cook this dish are very simple too. Onions, ginger-garlic, chillies, coconut and tamarind and I promise you will have the best Prawn Coconut Masala.
Relatively quick dish, this Prawn Coconut Masala!
It’s a relatively quick dish to cook, the only time you need is to cook your onions and coconut. After that 3-5 minutes and your prawns are cooked. Anything more than 5 minutes, you will be overcooking your prawns!
You can find the video for the recipe on my YouTube channel. Learn how to make this dish step by step.
If you like this dish then check out these recipes:
Fish with Coconut and Curry leaves sauce
Prawn Coconut Masala
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 small Indian shallot or just use 1 more onion sliced
- 1 bay leaf fresh or dried
- 3 green chillies slightly slit in the middle
- 10 nos curry leaves
- 1 tbsp turmeric leaf julienne (optional)
- 1 inch ginger chopped or julienne
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut blend it with 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder and water in the blender.
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder or paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- fresh coriander, ginger, turmeric leaf julienne for garnishing
- 1 tsp or to taste salt
- 200 g prawns or shrimps head and tail on
- 1 tsp each ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Marinate the prawns in the mentioned ingredients for 20 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan heat oil, when it is hot add in the bay leaf, turmeric leaf, chillies and onions. Add salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, ginger and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the blended coconut and add in 1/2 cup of water, mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the water is evaporated and forms a thick gravy base.
- Add in the marinated prawns, mix well. Add in the Kashmiri red powder and cook for 2-3 minutes (5-6 minutes if you are having the dish right away).
- Once the prawns are cooked, add in the tamarind paste and 1/4 cup water. Mix well.
- Add in the coriander, mix well and turn the gas off.
- Garnish with ginger and turmeric leaf. Serve hot with dosa or roti.