Palak Paneer (cottage cheese cooked with spinach) is my absolute favourite dishes to eat. A few days ago whilst I was thinking of making it, I though why not add some pickling spices and actual pickle to the gravy to give that pungent kick. It worked really well with this combination.
I have got some homemade stuffed red chilli and green chilli pickle from my recent trip to India but if you don’t have it then you can use store bought green chilli pickle or simply omit it.
- 3 cup finely chopped spinach
- 200 g paneer or cottage cheese cut in cubes
- 1 big red onion finely diced
- 2 tomatoes medium diced
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 green chillies sliced in half
- ½ cup water
- 200 ml milk
- 1 bay leaf and stick of cinnamon
- A few peppercorns
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ¼ tsp nigella seeds
- ½ tsp roasted roughly crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder and red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp homemade red chilli or green chilli pickle
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
Heat oil, add all the whole spices and let them splutter for a minute. Add in the onion and garlic, sauté for about 5 minutes till it’s golden brown.
Add in the green chillies, tomatoes, salt and all the spice powders, sauté for another 5 minutes. Add in the Paneer, water and milk, bring to a boil. C.over and simmer for 5 minutes
In the end add the pickle, adjust the salt and the consistency.
Serve hot with the parathas.