Easy, delicious and quick Corn and Tortilla Soup, full of flavours, textures and healthy ingredients.
If you are a soup fan like me, you have to give this brilliant recipe a try. It ticks all the boxes, it got texture, protein and some delicious flavours. And this is a perfect recipe for those busy weeknights, it cooks in a trice.
A fantastic vegan Corn and Tortilla Soup!
I love the idea of tortilla soups, the first time I had this soup was in America back in 2014 in a small restaurant new my college Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park. Back then I used to eat chicken and I didn’t mind the fibrous texture of that soup but now since I don’t eat meat I had to create a new recipe. I wanted to incorporate some proteins and some different textures so I added some beans and I baked the tortillas. The crispy texture of the baked tortillas give this soup gives another dimension, try it to believe it!
Add sour cream or creme fraiche to this Corn and Tortilla Soup and make it creamy!
I have kept this corn and tortilla soup vegan but you can add sour cream or creme fraiche if you fancy creamier soups. You can also add some avocado or guacamole too to make it creamy.
You can find the recipe video on my YouTube channel, do check it out.
If you like soups, do check these recipes out.
Corn and tortilla soup
- 5 tortillas cut in thin strips
- 1 large red onion small diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup carrot small diced
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables such as capsicums, celery
- 2 sweet corn fresh or frozen
- 1 can pinto beans drained and washed
- 1 each red and green chilli (optional)
- 1 each green and red capsicum (peppers) small diced
- 1 tbsp roasted coriander crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper crushed
- 1 small naga chilli (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- coriander and lime for garnishing
- Place the thinly sliced tortillas in a lined baking sheet. Spray it with oil and sprinkle some salt. Bake in the preheated oven 125C/250F for 15-20 minutes till they are crispy. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil and onion, garlic and carrots and saute them for 2-3 minutes. Tip in the mixed vegetable scraps and continue to cook for further 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chilli, corn keeping 1/2 cup corn kernels aside for later. Season it with salt. Add the naga chilli and the spice powders. Mix well.
- Add 500ml vegetable stock and 500ml water. Cover the pot and simmer for 7-8 minutes.1
- Using an immersion blender make a coarse puree. Add in the pinto beans, 1 cup of water and check the seasoning.
- Add in the corn and both the capsicums. Stir well, cover the jar slightly ajar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving the soup, top the bowl with the baked crispy tortillas.
- Garnish with coriander, lime and serve immediately.