Tofu Tacos, made with fresh gluten-free taco shells are a real treat!
I love tacos, especially the freshly made gluten-free corn tortillas. Soft tacos, crispy tofu or crispy fish with delicious guacamole or grilled pineapple or spicy apple salad and spicy beans, it is a perfect combination as a healthy supper. I make tacos every other week and I like to make them from scratch, however, many people find making corn tortillas overwhelming. Till a few years ago, I did too but after making it over and over again, I have settled on this recipe.
How to make the corn tortillas for these Tofu Tacos?
To make the tortillas for these Tofu Tacos you need 4 ingredients, Masa Harina flour, salt, hot oil and water, that’s it! However, you do need some practice when it comes to rolling tortillas because it doesn’t have any gluten they break a lot and that’s where the frustration kicks in. So there are a few steps you need to follow when you are making the tortillas.
This Tofu Tacos recipe is very customisable, you can replace every element to your liking!
Even though I have made these tacos with tofu, you can make it fish, chicken, roasted cauliflower or whatever you fancy.
Since there are many components to this recipe, I am going to share it in 2 parts. This first part is how to make gluten-free tortillas and spicy tofu.
So let’s get to the recipe.
Try these combinations:
1: Spicy Tofu with spicy apple or mango salad
2: Pan-fried fish with grilled spicy pineapple
3: Pulled chicken with guacamole
4: Roasted Cauliflower with coriander dressing.
- Tortilla Press https://www.amazon.sg/Victoria-Tortilla-Pataconera-Seasoned-Flaxeed/dp/B00HWF6L54
- 2 cups masa harina flour
- 1 tbsp hot olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling hot water you may need less or more
- 600 g firm and drained tofu cut in thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp gochujang chilli paste use normal mild chilli paste if you can't find.
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tsp cocoamino sauce use soy sauce if you can't find it
- 1/2 tsp or to taste salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp Breadcrumbs
- Add salt, hot olive oil to the flour and mix it with a wooden spoon till it resembles bread crumbs texture. Start pouring hot water whilst mixing the flour with the wooden spoon. You may not need all the water to form the dough.
- Make a soft and pliable dough. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 12-14 equal parts. For rolling the tortillas, use a tortilla press lined with 2 clean pieces of plastic or baking parchment. Put the dough ball and press to make round tortillas. You can also cut them with 15CM or 6 inch round cutter.
- If you don't have the tortilla press, simply use 2 pieces of baking parchment to roll the tortillas and then cut it with the round cutter. Roast these tortillas on a cast iron pan or heavy non-stick pan for 30 seconds each side. Store it in a damp tea towel.
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned for tofu. Coat the tofu pieces with this sauce generously and let it sit for 10 minutes. Coat the marinated tofu pieces in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a heavy-bottom pan and pan-fry the marinated tofu pieces till they are crispy and golden brown from outside.
- Place the pan-fried tofu in the tortilla (taco shell). Drizzle your choice of dressing, add some onions or grilled fruit. I used green apple, coriander and pickled onions. Serve hot.