“Farro and Beans Casserole” a healthy, vegan and one-pot meal for busy weekdays!
Farro, an ancient grain with fantastic health benefits, and they are one of my favourite grains to cook. Not only it is nutritious, fibrous but also it has that delicious nutty flavour. This delightful, Farro and Beans Casserole is all those things, it is packed with some amazing flavours, and it is protein-packed.
This Farro and Beans Casserole is made with Romanesco, but you can make it with cauliflower or whatever vegetables you like.
Even though farro is a protein-packed grain, I have made this dish with beans, and you can make this dish with chicken to add more protein.
Farro can be cooked in many different ways, like salads or soups.
Here are some recipe ideas for farro: Farro Rissoto
Serve this “Farro and Beans Casserole” as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish.
I like to serve this farro dish as a side with Garlic Mushrooms or Grilled Chicken or a simple Pan-fried Fish, and it is a healthy and delicious combination!
How long can I keep this Farro dish in the fridge?
Because it is cooked with beans and romanesco, I would suggest to consume it in a day. Reheating will result in losing the texture of the vegetables and farro.
If you like healthy recipes, then do try these:
So let’s get to the recipe!
Farro and Beans Casserole
- 1 cup farro
- 2 3/4 cups water or veg stock
- 200 g romanesco or cauliflower florets
- 1 can cannellini beans or beans of your liking
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1 tsp or to taste crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp or to taste red chilli flakes
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 banana shallot or onion small diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or basil chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Wash the farro thoroughly, strain it and keep it aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed casserole add in the oil, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Tip in the shallot and saute for 2 minutes.
- Tip in the farro and fry for 2-3 minutes till the grains are coated in fat. Add in the spice powders, saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the passata, mix it well and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Tip in the romanesco. Now add in the water or vegetable stock, simmer for 10 minutes with a lid slightly ajar.
- Add in the herbs, lemon zest and beans. Give it a stir and adjust the salt if needed. Cook for another 5-7 minutes till the farro is properly cooked.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. I served it with roasted tomatoes on the vine. Served hot.