Whole Roasted Cauliflower, a perfect dish for your brunch table!
I love cauliflower when it is roasted and when it roasted well with some good flavours. I have got you this fantastic whole roasted cauliflower recipe which is easy, utterly delicious and packed with punchy flavours. The imagination for this cauliflower is excellent, its got nuttiness from tahini and some delicate spices like cardamom and some pungent spices like nigella seeds (black onion seeds).
How to pair this Whole Roasted Cauliflower?
You can pair this dish with simple couscous or a quinoa salad with a pickled lemon dressing or you can pair it with grilled chicken and rice. I loved pairing this dish with Grilled Chicken Cardamom Rice, trust me it was a wonderful combination and a perfect one for those Sunday brunches or a healthy supper.
How much time does the whole roasted cauliflower take in the oven?
I reckon it depends on the oven to oven, in my oven sometimes it takes about 15-20 minutes for a small cauliflower but for a big one e.g. 450g would take 35-40 minutes. I like to put it under a grill for 5-7 minutes to get that charred, black colour on my cauliflower but that is completely optional. It sounds like a lot of time for cooking but believe me, whilst your cauliflower is roasting in the oven you can make your rice or pilaf.
You can watch the step by step video on my YouTube channel and see how easy it is to make this fantastic dish!
If you are a vegan or trying to avoid dairy then check this Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Recipe out.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 whole cauliflower head
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 or to taste red chillies
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 nos cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp assorted peppercorns green, black, red and white
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander with stalks
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp or to taste salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F.
- Roast all the whole spices for a few minutes and let them cool slightly. Make a coarse powder using pestle mortar and keep it aside.
- In the same mortar make a coarse paste of garlic, chilli with 1 tsp of the coarse spice powder.
- In a big bowl, tip in coriander, tahini, 1 tsp olive oil and jaggery and whisk it well. Add in the spice powders, the fresh coarse powder, salt, yoghurt and whisk it well till it makes a thick creamy paste. Add 1 more tsp olive oil to it the marination.
- Coat the cauliflower well with this marination from all sides. Coat the roasting pan with rest of the olive oil and place the cauliflower on it.
- Roast it in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or till it is properly cooked.
- Let it stand for a few minutes, then cut and serve with your favourite dressing or sauce.